If the world was a village of 100 people there would be….
- 60 Asians
- 14 Africans
- 12 Europeans
- 8 Central/South Americans
- 5 North Americans
- 1 Australian/New Zealander
*Global population distribution – from telegraph.co.uk
- 14 people would speak Mandarin
- 8 Hindi/Urdu
- 8 English
- 7 Spanish
- 4 Russian
- 4 Arabic
-This is less than half the village. The rest of the villagers would speak over 200 other languages between them….
- 33 are Christians
- 22 are Muslims
- 15 Hindus
- 14 Non-Religious
- 6 Buddhists
- 10 All other religions
- 51 would be male
- 49 would be female
- 82 would be non-white
- 18 would be white
- There would be 42 radios, 24 televisions, 14 telephones, and 7 computers
- 7 people would own a car or van of some sort
- Only 7 would have access to the internet
- 2 would be new born babies
- 1 would be near death
- 11 adult women will have, at some time, been beaten, abused, or forced to have sex against their will
- 1 would have a college education
- 80 would live in housing you would not consider to be fit for habitation
*Photo credited to lebbeuswoods.wordpress.com
- 39 would lack access to improved sanitation
- 50 wouldn’t have enough to eat and would be suffering from malnutrition and 1 would be dying of starvation
- 33 don’t have access to safe water
- 24 would not have access to electricity
- Of the 76 that do have electricity, most only can afford to use the light at night
- 67 would be adults, half of them can’t read or write.
- 17 would be children who have not been immunized against the preventable infectious diseases such as measles and polio
- 1 would have HIV
- If you have your own PC at home, you own something that costs more than an average person earns in an entire year in Somalia or Sierra Leone.
- If you are 15 and you are born in Botswana, you are half way through your expected time on earth! On average you wouldn’t live to see your 31st birthday in Botswana.
- 5 people would own 32% of the entire wealth of the village (and they all came from the USA)
- 33 people would be trying to survive on just 3% of the entire wealth of the village
- If you have food in your fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep you are richer than 75% of the world.
- If you woke up this morning with more health than illness you are more blessed than the million people who will not survive this week.
- If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the agony of imprisonment or torture, or the horrible pangs of starvation you are luckier than 500 million people alive and suffering.
- If you can read this, remember that there are over two billion people in the world who cannot read at all.
- If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, spare change in a drawer, a pocket or somewhere you are among the top 8% of the world’s most wealthy people
What are you grateful for today?
If this inspires you, let it inspire others by sharing…click below
*Statistics taken from http://www.geography-site.co.uk